... cooked up by Mike Harding for the Touch Recipe Book
Roman Army Spelt Tin Bread
500g spelt flour
1 tsp sea salt
3 tsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
15g fresh yeast (if available)
400ml warm water
1. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl.
2. Blend the yeast into half the water and roughly mix into the flour.
3. Dissolve the salt in the remaining water and add to the flour, followed by the oil. Knead for 15 minutes.
4. Leave the dough dusted with flour and allow to rise in a warm place (best covered with a towel to avoid draft) for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into two large greased bread tins.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C, 370F, Fas Mark 5 and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Spray the dough several times with water to make a nice crust.
Take the dough out of the tin and leave to cool down, otherwise bread might go soggy.